Thursday, June 2, 2011

"...and I strongly believe that You would not have lead me this far only to have things not work out in the end."

It's currently 3:39pm, and I'm watching the seconds on my desktop countdown titled "Countdown to Kingston" slowly tick away.  I do believe that I just emitted a sigh of relief so audible and genuine that my dear Kingston goers probably heard it as well.  God really does answer prayers!

I'll make a very long story short, as preparations for this trip have since begun since November of '10, so I won't bore you with the details, but basically, in order to enter the UK boarder a wayward student traveller (or anyone else entering the country for less than six months) has to present something aptly titled "proof of maintenance support".  In order to satisfy this requirement, towards the end of May, I bumbled into the abroad coordinator's office (*ok...quick commercial break: he's leaving Berea next week to take another position, and I would just like to say that without him I wouldn't have a flipping clue as to how to apply to study abroad and all that jazz.  He has been more of a help than I can possibly put into words.  So thanks, Soren!* And now back to the regular program...) and asked for a letter, which he promptly typed up and printed off before I could even name the (18?) boroughs of London itself.  But as I read over the letter I just grew sick and sick with worry; something about it just didn't seem right.  The letter is dated May 22.  I think it would be suffice to say that I did not stop worrying ever since. 

In between that day and today, I prayed.  I don't think I've prayed so hard in my life.  I don't remember exact words uttered, although there were some sincere apologetics (i.e. "I'm so sorry that this is becoming a last resort, You are Lord of my life and I should have prayed this through from the very beginning, please forgive me").  But one prayer I do remember is something along the lines of "Lord, You have given me this incredible opportunity, and I strongly believe that You would not have lead me this far only to have things not work out in the end.  I pray that Your hand is working in my favor even as I speak." 

Nonetheless, God heard my prayers, even my apologetic.  He forgives.  And He listens.

So today arrives.  A fairly eventful day compared to the uneventful hum that has become a typical Summer 1 day for me.  To make another long story short, I locked my keys in my dorm, along with my charging cell phone, which resulted in me running from opposite end of campus to the other in precisely three minutes and picketing outside the beloved food service so i could retrieve my dear sister's keys to retrieve my own.  But I woke up this morning with that cloud of worry hanging over my head again.  I came back to my room and decided that today was the day.  With the cloud of worry hanging heavy, I furiously typed a quick email to my program coordinator and, with haste, attached a copy of "the May 22 letter".  Boy, after that, the cloud of worry turned into a squall; not even Kelly's news of her blog being followed by two wonderful women and three episodes of "Whose Line is it Anyway" put a dent into it.  Suffice to say I avoided checking my email like the plague. 

Well, you know that still small voice that people so often talk about but rarely experience?  I heard it.  Again, with haste, I breathed my all-too-familiar prayer, checked my email and read the most beautiful nine words:

"Yes, I think that that will work just fine!"

IMMEDIATELY, the cloud of worry lifted.  I raised my hands and repeated "Thank you God" for...I'm not even sure how long.  Ever since this trip came up, I've just been praying for God to show me that this is real, this is really happening, this is really His hand.  Today, I got that proof. 

So, for anyone who is in a situation like mine, where you just feel like you're waiting, about to run into what you fear might be a major brick wall, hold fast.  Stay strong.  If you believe that God has lead you this far, and you believe that God has called you to something, then guess what? He'll see it through!  Man, I can't quit smiling!

In other news, I'm going home next Thursday!  I can't wait.  It'll be so wonderful to see my parents and my friend (all of which I haven't seen since March). It's weird...I changed my calendar yesterday (ok, P.S. does anyone else think that the month of May took FOREVER?!?!? I thought it was going to be perpetual May forever!) and I thought to myself, hey, at the end of the month, I'll be in another country! wee! 

Countdown: 25 days.  I must once again thank God and my supporters.  I hate to sound like cheese, but I hold all of you very close in high regards. 



You watch over me in the darkest valleys.  You watch over me when the night seems long.  You help me to see the way before me.  You watch over me, You watch over me.

blessings, H

No comments:

Post a Comment