Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Much Ado about Greenwich with a side of rain

Yes, it is going on Day 4 of rain here in the lovely United Kingdom.  I am beginning to wonder if it will ever stop.

First off, I got to sleep in today!!! Yay! So exciting after traveling for three consecutive days, even though we still traveled today.  A friend and I ventured into Kingston for a tiny bit of shopping, where I finally invested in a watch necklace.  They're VERY popular over here, and I've seen them from Chinatown to Camden, ranging in prices from 7 pounds to 24 pounds!!! But I got mine at Primark (which has literally become my new haven for all things cheap and cute) for the low price of 4 pounds! And I love it! :)

After shopping, and yummy iced chai tea lattes from Starbucks with a very friendly barista, we made our way to Greenwich, which is not as easy as it sounds!  We first had to take a train from Surbiton to Waterloo, but our train was delayed a few minutes right before Waterloo...VERY frustrating!! Nevertheless, we booked it to the Jubilee tube line and got off at Canary Wharf.  We then boarded a DLR train, which at times felt like we were in one of those simulator rides, to Cutty Sark station, which dumped us into the heart of Greenwich. 

Greenwich is a really nice place, although I would have loved to see more of it, but, alas, a graduation ceremony was going on and the sites were closed off.  We went to the Royal Observatory (yes, I stood on the Prime Meridian line...literally in two places at once) and the National Maritime Museum...very, very cool if you are a big Navy buff! 

We made our way back into London after galavanting around Greenwich, which proved to be much easier than actually getting to Greenwich.  Ate at a Greek place for dinner, which was deceptively cheap.  I say "deceptively" because the prices ranged from 4-6 pounds for an entree, but the portions were small and the menu suggested three or four per person to get a full meal! Crazy!  I ordered a lamb souvlaki, which proved to be yummy (and filling), along with a ginger beer!

At the Prime Meridian line

Far-away view of the Observatory

In Greenwich

Thanks to the girl who spoke French for taking this!

Globe Theatre...with the rain!
Globe Theatre, Globe Theatre, Globe Theatre!!!! Oh, did I mention I went to the Globe Theatre?? Well, I did.  And it was fantastic!!!!! So surreal.  I held a groundling ticket (meaning I was standing on the grounds) for Much Ado About Nothing! Unfortunately, it was raining.  And although it was the funniest play I've seen in a long time and the show was very enjoyable, my poor feet just could not handle another hour and a half of standing, so I left at intermission.  I've got the soaked-all-the-way-through Toms sitting by my heater to prove it.  Yeah...don't wear Toms at the Globe on a rainy day...they'll be soaked in no time!  Definitely a memorable experience, though!

Bottom line: I. Am. Pooped.  Tomorrow it's just lecture, and then this girl is grocery shopping (for, quite possibly, the last time I am in this wonderful country :[ ), and then doing nothing!!! I need a break!!!!!!!  I can't believe that pretty soon this will all be over.  But I try not to think about that too much.

Anyway, thanks for following/reading.  Off to count some sheep.  Cheers!

blessings, H

(Ok, I have NO IDEA why Blogger is deciding to put my pictures in the middle of the freaking blog.  I tried to fix it three times, but I'm too tired to fuss with stupid technology right now.  >__< )

2 comments:

  1. Will the rain stop? No :) lol the rain never stops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it really doesn't. Guess since it's July I'm used to 90's and sun!! :D

    ReplyDelete