Saturday, July 16, 2011

You put the light in me

I just realized that I totally forgot to blog last night.  Oops.

In my defense, though, I was REALLY tired!!! Of course, Harry Potter was a couple of nights ago and I didn't get to sleep until 4.  I had class on Friday, fun stuff (almost fell asleep a couple of times...my poor tutor probably figured half my class was out late clubbing and pubbing the night before...LOL!).  I also saw Les Miserables last night on the West End...WOW!!! I absolutely loved it!!! It was so good!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Didn't do much today; finally wrote some postcards, and I'll be putting them in the mail on Monday.  Tomorrow I'm going to the British Open! w00t!

Anyway, I'm currently in love with this Brandon Heath song.  Lately, with life being so hectic for me in England (yes, you are reading that correctly, it's not all just running around and being touristy) I just haven't been reflecting on how good God has been to me since I got here! I've met some amazing people, learned so much, been to a lot of cool places, and most importantly, haven't done anything that goes against the standards I have for myself.  I am in NO way condemning anyone; it's just my own personal choices and I'm glad that I have been living up to them.  :)  Before I came here I prayed that God would give me opportunities to live out my faith for Him, and I strongly believe that the choices I have been making (or not making, in some cases, lol) are doing just that. 

But anyway, God is good, and I am still deeply in love with this place!!! 

Some more observations:

~There aren't any "full" days of rain; usually it just rains for several minutes at a time.  I'm only saying this because it's been doing just that today.
~If "cookies" are biscuits, then what are biscuits?
~There are more advertisements for books in the tube stations than there are for movies.  Same with plays.  Theater is huge here!  The West End is basically the Broadway of London (aka where all the "big" shows are...aka where I saw Les Mis last night).
~Lots. Of. PDA.
~iTunes radio works over here! But Pandora doesn't.  :(
~The stove/oven in my kitchen is gas! Yay!
~I have not, to my knowledge...it's possible I haven't been paying attention, but I haven't noticed any posted speed limit signs.  Anywhere.  Even on the motorways (highways...sorry).
~I don't even realize that people are speaking with accents anymore.
~A lot of girls/teen girls wear leggings as pants...it's a big trend here.  Personally, I'm not a fan, but whatever.
~Two words: iPhone. Nation.
~The only "chain" retailer I've seen is Gap and H&M.  Everything else is local.  No, McDonald's does not count.
~I have developed a strong likeness for tea biscuits.  It's quite sad.  And pub food.  Hey, it's cheap! 
~Nutella comes in glass jars. 
~When I went to Oxford, I learned that 1 in 5 applicants are accepted and students take exams only TWICE in their careers (1st and 3rd years...but one's in Latin.  No, not a Latin course, as in, the test is written in Latin!!). 
~Speaking of university, many students finish in three years.  Many universities (like Kingston) start them in their majors right away; aka no gen ed classes.  I could get used to that.  The British education system in general just fascinates me.
~You can enter the work force full-time at the age of 16 (something else I learned in class).
~I saw a fox roaming around in Surbiton the other day.  No, I'm not joking.

 blessings, H

You put the light in me; the spark, the shot to the heart.  You are the hope that leads me out of the dark.  You let Your love shine down so that the world can see You put the light in me. 

Les Mis!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I think tomorrow's blog of mine will be an observations blog :]

    ReplyDelete